Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/america5/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 484

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/america5/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 484

American Hosta Society Forum - View topic - What's your all time favorite hosta?
It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:16 am

What's your all time favorite hosta? 

What's your all time favorite hosta?
What's your favorite hosta? You can only pick one - ok maybe 2.... :P

Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:24 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: What's your all time favorite hosta?
Liberty :D
Stitch in Time :lol: :lol: :P

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 am
Profile E-mail WWW

I have to say 'June'. It's been a showstopper year after year.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am
Profile E-mail

montana 'Aureomarginata' for me. There are many runners up, however.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm
Profile E-mail

I like H.'Pauls Glory' BECAUSE it looks different almost every day during the season.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

My standard reply to this question is "it depends on the day!"

'June', 'Sagae', 'Guardian Angel, and m. 'Aureomarginata' are always at the top of my list, though.

Are we going to get you hooked, Heather??

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

H."Wide Brim', not an all time favorite but really nice old dependable performer. That is H.'Striptease' on the right another good one.
These H.'Striptease' sports are not the best examples but you can see the leaf coloration.

And I'm not posting my absolute fav, just a few photos.

H.'Wide Brim'

H.'Hanky Panky'

H.'Naked Lady'

H.'Kiwi Full Monty'

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 pm
Profile E-mail

My #1 favorite is Great Expectations!

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:35 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Well H.'Great Expectations' and H.'June' are grand.

This is a planting at my church.

This is H.'June' planting of 4 intended to be in the form of a diamond. When one reverted I left it as an
example. This reversion made a really nice blue.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 am
Profile E-mail

One of the many good things about H.'June' is that even if it reverts, it's still outstanding.
In my opinion, H.'Halcyon' is still one of the best blues. Another comment: I sat next to Pete Ruh on a tour bus at the 1990 convention. He brought along a leaf of H.'Paul's Glory'. It was magnificent. Large, rugose, and a VERY wide green/blue border. The center variegation was "maple-leafed" shape and occupied probably less than 1/4 of the leaf surface. It had not yet been registered. No H.'Paul's Glory' that I've seen since have looked like that!! They all have tended to resemble H.'Inniswood'. I've often wondered if all of the PG's in the trade are really H.'Paul's Glory'.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail