It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:12 pm

Mulching Miniature Hostas 

Post Mulching Miniature Hostas
This is my first post on the AHS Hosta Forum, so please bear me with while I learn all the bells and whistles here.

First, my name is John Spangler. I am a retired state governement attorney and live in Versailles, Kentucky, near Lexington. I belong to AHS and Hostas of Kentuckiana (HOK), our local hosta society in Louisville.

With this spring's purchases, I now have around twenty-five hostas, mostly miniatures.

Up until now, I have not mulched my hosta bed and would be interested in hearing what the seasoned growers in this forum use to mulch their miniature hostas and what depth of mulch they apply.

Also, the "AHS Miniature Hosta List" mentions a "Mini Forum," which, I assume is specific to miniature hosta cultivation. I don't see that as a separate group here on the AHS Forum. Can someone supply me with its URL?

Thanks, folks! Look forward to chatting with you here.

John Spangler
JMSinKY

Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Mulching Miniature Hostas
Welcome John, can't answer your questions but maybe now that the convention is over, people will be back on the forums and someone will have answers for you.
I just got my first mini this last week and it won't be my last. It is a charmer.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm
Profile E-mail

Apparently there isn't a lot of activity on this forum.

Since my original post, I acquired a copy of THE BOOK OF LITTLE HOSTAS (2010) through amazon.com -- This excellent book has a good discussion of mulching on pages 32 through 36. I bought several bags of pine bark fines (pine soil conditioner) at a local nursery and am pleased with it as a mulch.

Also, the Mini Hosta Forum is a Yahoo group and has about 120 members at present, including me now. Its URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minihosta

John Spangler
Versailles, Kentucky

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail

John,
I am also new at writing on forum. I do, however have several minis and the book. I also live in Lexington. There is a lady that sells hosta in Georgetown, KY and she has a nice selection. She uses some small stones. I don t like that look in my garden so I use soil from my compost bin. I have been happy with that. Several people I know thinks it causes increase slug population. I have not had that problem with this particular bed.
Leb

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 am
Profile E-mail