It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:30 pm

Need Your Help 

Post Need Your Help
I picked up this Rainforest Sunrise because it had a peculiar plant growing out of the center. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Sat May 05, 2012 6:45 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Need Your Help
Staci,
I think what you have there is just an odd flower scape that happen from time to time. Next year it probably will bloom normally.

Mon May 07, 2012 12:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Staci, you'll see modified flower scapes do this from time to time -- seems to be a stress related reaction and/or caused by planting a hosta too deeply. Agree with FoxHaven that it will not persist next season. They are fun to watch grow and it'll likely have normal flowers bloom. Best of luck with RfSr -- that one has been difficult for me.

Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 pm
Profile E-mail

Staci, not sure where you live. I am in MN. Roger mentions growth issues with RFS, it and its parent plant really need ample sun in the North to perform as well as good soil. Performs like Tokudama type plants in terms of growth rate. Takes awhile - but a beauty once establish.

Yes environmental stress and likely not to repeat. I grow a considerable number of young plants. It is not uncommon for first year planted following the first dormancy break to bloom out of synch time wise and also to have unusual flower scapes. Some even send up a flower scape before and leaves form. Typically they settle down the next year.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:31 am
Profile E-mail

My Rainforest Sunrise had a similar scape as did a friend of mines.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:49 pm
Profile E-mail