It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:29 pm

Newbie to Hostas 

Post Newbie to Hostas
I am new to Hostas and I live in Florida in Zone 9 and have been having problem with my Hostas that I ordered on line.
They started off pretty good and they get plenty of water but they have suddenly stopped growing.

I have been told to use some Liquid Kelp on them as a fertilizer.

I am going to try and attach a picture of one of them so that you can see them

Any help would be apprecited

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Newbie to Hostas
Hello! I also live on the border of Zone 9.........frankly, some Hostas do not do well in our zone, however, keeping them well-watered and in filtered shade will go a long way toward helping them survive. At this time which is mid-August, already some of my Hostas are "slowing down" after flowering. This is normal and generally, I find that those who flower earliest tend to die back to rest first. Also, I would caution you NOT to fertiilize them any more at this time of the year; it will result in possible leggy growth and will confuse your plants.......some of them are wanting to slow down now. You didn't say......did any of your Hostas flower for you this year?? Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to get a handle on your situation.

Hope this helps! :) Pat

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Newbie to Hostas
Newbie to hostas

We should probably add that hostas grow the leaves during the first warm weather in spring and then stop. Many cultivars also have a second flush of leave mid season. In between, it is normal to not see any new growth nor after the flowering.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:21 am
Profile E-mail