It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:46 am

Can I grow Hostas in Florida zone 9? 

Can I grow Hostas in Florida zone 9?
Hi, I am new here & just love hostas, but I think due to our FLorida heat, is it too hot to grow them in the shade here in zone 9? I would have to use containers as I dont have very much shade in my yard. Thanks for your help.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:42 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: Can I grow Hostas in Florida zone 9?
I hate to discourage you, but hostas need a cold winter dormancy and I don't think it gets cold enough for a long enough period of time for them to grow well in Florida. Growing in pots may help, since pots will cool down better than the ground. If you want to give hostas a try, I would suggest trying some of the many fragrant flowered varieties. They are all related to Hosta plantaginea - the most heat tolerant species. Some to consider...

Guacamole
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Bananas
Fragrant Bouquet
Holy Mole

There are many more.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:18 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Can I grow Hostas in Florida zone 9?
Hi! I live in the area some people refer to as zone 9 ---west of Pensacola, FL and I have had good success with growing Hostas in containers on my 50% shaded deck. I am very generous with watering and use very good potting soil. Some suffered a wee bit when we had an unusual spell of 100 degrees for about 3 days, but they have recovered. Hostas with lots of white in their leaves aren't as happy as those with nice thick all green leaves. We have a low of 26 degrees a few nights in the winter and my Hostas all went dormant for more than 6 weeks, as they require. I would say to give them a try!! Pat

Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:52 am
Profile E-mail